The Academy was established in the year (1988 AD) under the name: (Institute of Postgraduate Studies for Economic Sciences), in Tripoli-Libya. Economy), and in the year (1995 AD) Resolution No. (996) was issued to establish the name (Academy of Postgraduate Studies), and the decision included defining the academic degrees granted by the Academy to its graduates, namely: postgraduate diploma, higher degree (Master’s), and accurate degree (PhD). The decision also stipulates that the academy teaches all disciplines according to the available capabilities.
The Academy has expanded during the previous years until it reached (7) scientific schools, namely:
- School of Administrative and Financial Sciences.
- School of Humanities.
- School of Engineering and Applied Sciences.
- Language school.
- School of Media and the Arts.
- School of Strategic and International Studies.
- School of Basic Sciences.
And with the issuance of Cabinet Resolution No. (167) for the year (2012 AD), the name of the (Academy of Postgraduate Studies) was changed to the name of (the Libyan Academy), and its affiliation with the Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research was confirmed.
The specialized centers of the Libyan Academy:
- Human Resources Development Institute. (training center).
- Language Center (training center).
- Information Technology and Technical Support Center.
- Media and artistic production center.
- Libyan Academy Center for Consulting and Engineering Research.
- Academic house for printing and publishing.
- Scientific library.